Thursday, October 30, 2008

Laurel and Josh in Santa Cruz, CA






















Well, I'm going to start putting some photos up from my summer weddings. I am done editing and getting all my album drafts done so now I feel like I can do some other web activities. I know blogs are supposed to be a journal of sorts and more of a daily routine. Photographers use it as a marketing tool and that is good but I would like to use it more as recognition of people and life, it's passings and my life.

So, here are some photos of Laurel and Josh. I have known Laurel since I was 5. We met at her mother's restaurant in Cazadero, CA, where we grew up. It's a small area 80 miles north of San Francisco and our school had about 80 people in it (K-8) We've been friends for a long time. We spent our entire childhood together until puberty hit and then there were bumpy roads for our friendship for a few years. Now, we aren't as close as we were when we were little but we are still good friends. I feel like she is someone I will never loose touch with. We've made it through those rough years and now we're stuck with each other forever even though we may not see each other often. So as you can imagine it was a trip photographing her wedding and I made it through without crying until her aunt was talking to me. Then I lost it and sobbed in my mother's lap from a deep place of awe, nostalgia and loss that comes with life and growing up. It's bittersweet.

The photo that you see of all the people are her side of the family that I used to spend every summer with and little by little I started to recognize the young kids in the adults that are in the photo. We've all grown up! It was amazing seeing everyone after close to 20 years.

Her parents are like an aunt and uncle and at her wedding I spent a lot of my time with them, which made me feel like I was 13 again hanging out in the back of their car yakking my head off like young girls do. Her dad woke me up in the morning with his loud voice and making noise like he does and I felt like I was 8 having a sleep over. It was great! I wish I could hang out like I used to but I'm married now and in Belgium so life has taken me away from my home town. I'm babbling...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Britt, you are a great photographer! I must admit I was looking at these pics and I just couldn't see the old Laurel, it was so weird...until I got to the one she is trying to put her earring on and it all came flooding back. What a beautiful day that certainly was, wow the memories. I wish I recognized people in the group pic but I don't. Congratulations Laurel and to you Brittany for taking such great pics!