Thursday, July 3, 2008

My fascination with out of focus flowers




I've had an obsession with taking photos of flowers really up close or out of focus. I like the shapes and colors to look abstract and I find it appealing, like a Mark Rothko painting. I always think that nature has the best combinations of textures, colors and features that work so well together, or the most bizarre (in the case of the platypus or elephant seals, for example. Who would have thought of creating really huge mammals that have really big noses that have to wobble and thrust their bodies onto the shore to be able to mate, feed and birth? They make god awful noises and are a bit ugly as well but they are amazing creatures). As artists we have to find the same harmony of elements to create things that people respond to. I'm not sure if I do that with abstract flowers but I like to look at the textures and colors that make up a flower.

No comments: